Coyote vs Red Fox Who would Win?
Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for a captivating showdown between two of nature's most cunning and agile predators: the Coyote and the Red Fox. Over three action-packed rounds, these fierce canids will display their incredible speed, dexterity, and hunting prowess as they battle for supremacy. Without further ado, let the contest begin!
Contender 1: Coyote
The Coyote, also known as the American jackal, is a small, carnivorous mammal that belongs to the Canidae family. They have a slender, agile body with a bushy tail, pointed ears, and a long snout. Coyotes have a grayish-brown fur coat with a white underbelly, and their eyes are yellow and almond-shaped. They are known for their adaptability and intelligence, and can be found in a variety of habitats, from deserts to forests.
Fun Fact: Coyotes are known for their vocalizations, which include howls, yips, and barks, and they use these sounds to communicate with each other and establish their territory.
Contender 2: Red Fox
The Red Fox, also known as Vulpes vulpes, is a small to medium-sized mammal that belongs to the Canidae family. They have a distinctive reddish-orange fur coat, white underbelly, and black legs, ears, and nose. They have a bushy tail that is often tipped with white. Red Foxes are known for their intelligence, adaptability, and cunning nature. They are found in a variety of habitats, including forests, grasslands, and urban areas.
Fun Fact: Red Foxes are excellent hunters and can hear the sound of a mouse moving underground from 42 feet away.
|Size||32-37 inches (81-94 cm) in length||14-20 inches (35-50 cm) at the shoulder|
|Weight||20-50 pounds (9-23 kg)||6.5-15 pounds (3-6.8 kg)|
|Speed||Speed: 43 mph (69 km/hr)||Speed: 45 mph (72.4 km/hr)|
|Key Strength||Speed and agility||Speed and agility|
|Biggest Weakness||Lack of physical strength||Lack of physical strength|
Coyote vs Red Fox
See Who Wins
Matchup VideosAll of our videos contain verified footage of natural encounters between Coyote and Red Fox. These are true sightings and observations filmed by tourists, scientists, and wildlife documentarians.
View More Matches
|Scientific Name||Canis latrans||Vulpes vulpes|
|Habitat||Various habitats, including deserts, forests, and grasslands||Forests, grasslands, and urban areas|
|Geography||North and Central America||North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa|
|Diet||Omnivorous, eats small rodents, insects, fruits, vegetables, and larger prey like deer and livestock||Omnivorous, eats small mammals, birds, insects, fruits, and vegetables|
|Lifespan||10 years - 14 years||2 years - 5 years|
Key Differences between Coyote and Red Fox
- Habitat: Coyotes are more commonly found in open grasslands and deserts, while Red Foxes prefer wooded areas and farmland.
- Behavior: Coyotes are more solitary and tend to hunt larger prey, while Red Foxes are more social and hunt smaller prey.
- Coloration: Coyotes have a grayish-brown coat with a black-tipped tail, while Red Foxes have a reddish-orange coat with a white underbelly and a bushy white-tipped tail.
- Size: Coyotes are generally larger than Red Foxes, with an average weight of 20-50 pounds compared to the Red Fox's average weight of 7-15 pounds.
- Ears: Coyotes have pointed, erect ears that are proportionally larger than the Red Fox's rounded, smaller ears.
- Face: Coyotes have a longer, narrower snout and a more angular face compared to the Red Fox's shorter, rounder snout and more oval-shaped face.