Red Fox vs Raccoon Dog Who would Win?
Welcome to another incredible match-up featuring two fascinating animals: the Red Fox and the Raccoon Dog! These two competitors are about to engage in a three-round battle, and I'll be giving you a play-by-play account of the action. Let's dive right in!
Contender 1: Red Fox
The Red Fox, also known as Vulpes vulpes, is a small to medium-sized mammal that belongs to the Canidae family. They have a distinctive reddish-orange fur coat, white underbelly, and black legs, ears, and nose. They have a bushy tail that is often tipped with white. Red Foxes are known for their intelligence, adaptability, and cunning nature. They are found in a variety of habitats, including forests, grasslands, and urban areas.
Fun Fact: Red Foxes are excellent hunters and can hear the sound of a mouse moving underground from 42 feet away.
Contender 2: Raccoon Dog
The Raccoon Dog, also known as the Tanuki, is a small mammal native to East Asia. It has a distinctive appearance with a round face, short legs, and a bushy tail. Its fur is thick and typically brown or gray in color. The Raccoon Dog is known for its ability to climb trees and swim well. It is also known for its vocalizations, which include barks, whines, and growls.
Fun Fact: The Raccoon Dog is not actually a raccoon or a dog, but rather a member of the canid family, which includes wolves and foxes.
|Red Fox||Raccoon Dog|
|Size||14-20 inches (35-50 cm) at the shoulder||16-28 inches (40-70 cm) in length|
|Weight||6.5-15 pounds (3-6.8 kg)||8-20 pounds (3.5-9 kg)|
|Speed||Speed: 45 mph (72.4 km/hr)||Speed: 37 mph (60 km/hr)|
|Key Strength||Speed and agility||Agility and sharp teeth|
|Biggest Weakness||Lack of physical strength||Small size and lack of physical strength|
Red Fox vs Raccoon Dog
See Who Wins
Matchup VideosAll of our videos contain verified footage of natural encounters between Red Fox and Raccoon Dog. These are true sightings and observations filmed by tourists, scientists, and wildlife documentarians.
View More Matches
|Red Fox||Raccoon Dog|
|Scientific Name||Vulpes vulpes||Nyctereutes procyonoides|
|Habitat||Forests, grasslands, and urban areas||Forests, grasslands, and wetlands|
|Geography||North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa||East Asia|
|Diet||Omnivorous, eats small mammals, birds, insects, fruits, and vegetables||Omnivorous, eats small animals, insects, fruits, and vegetables|
|Lifespan||2 years - 5 years||6 years - 10 years|
Key Differences between Red Fox and Raccoon Dog
- Diet: Red Foxes primarily eat small mammals, birds, and insects while Raccoon Dogs have a more varied diet including fruits, insects, and small mammals.
- Behavior: Red Foxes are more solitary and hunt alone while Raccoon Dogs are more social and hunt in groups.
- Fur color: Red Foxes have reddish-brown fur while Raccoon Dogs have yellowish-brown fur.
- Tail shape: Red Foxes have a long, bushy tail while Raccoon Dogs have a shorter, more pointed tail.
- Facial features: Red Foxes have a pointed snout and triangular ears while Raccoon Dogs have a rounder face and smaller, rounded ears.
- Habitat: Red Foxes are found in a wider range of habitats including forests, grasslands, and urban areas while Raccoon Dogs are primarily found in forested areas.
- Size: Red Foxes are generally smaller than Raccoon Dogs.